Dorena Williamson joins us for a beautiful, honest, and at times, uncomfortable conversation about race. Dorena loves the power of story and writes children’s books that adults need too. She is the author of ColorFull, ThoughtFull, and GraceFull, children’s books that feature diverse ethnicity and shape perspective on race, disability, and homelessness. She is the co-planter of multiracial Strong Tower Bible Church in Nashville, and a leader with Be the Bridge.
Dorena joins us to talk about her children’s books and gives us insight on how to talk to our kids about race. Here are some highlights:
- Why it’s necessary for our kids to see color
- A biblical basis for every child’s identity, regardless of color
- A historical perspective on how the United States veered away from the biblical foundation of human creation and worth
- Dorena shares practical ways she has taught her kids about race, the history of injustice, and the cultural experiences she gives them.
- How we can see our own bias, prejudice, and pay attention to the pain in our stories.